Orica Greenedge’s Australian rider Simon Gerrans won the sprint and collect his second win of the season after Tour Down Under’s Willunga Hill victory. Omega Pharma Quick-Step’s Gianni Meersman, winner of the first and second stages so far in Volta a Catalunya came second and AG2R’s Samuel Dumoulin came third.
“I was far back, but I knew the guys in front of me were still lead out riders, so I had time to come around them,” told Gerrans, describing his win. “I kicked quite hard out of the corner. This gave me the opportunity to move up and use my momentum to pop out in the last couple hundred meters. I had the legs to come from behind today. It’s fantastic to get another WorldTour stage win for the team.”
Simon Gerrans is the only rider that finished the snow-affected Milan-SanRemo race and also competing in Volta a Catalunya, which started the following day.
Race leader Dan Martin, snatching a three second mid-stage time bonus, extended his lead to 17 seconds on his closest follower Joaquim Rodriguez before Sunday’s final Stage 7.
GC After Stage 6
1. Daniel Martin (Irl) Garmin-Sharp 26:16:22
2. Joaquim Rodriguez Oliver (Spa) Katusha 17″
3. Nairo Alexander Quintana Rojas (Col) Movistar Team 45″
4. Bradley Wiggins (GBr) Sky Procycling 54″
5. Michele Scarponi (Ita) Lampre-Merida 55″
6. Robert Gesink (Ned) Blanco Pro Cycling Team 1′ 07″
7. Przemyslaw Niemiec (Pol) Lampre-Merida 1′ 18″
8. Thibaut Pinot (Fra) FDJ 1′ 26″
9. Jurgen Van Den Broeck (Bel) Lotto Belisol 1′ 28″
10. Peter Stetina (USA) Garmin-Sharp 1′ 30″
Stage 6 Results
1. Simon Gerrans (Aus) Orica-GreenEdge 3:55:46
2. Gianni Meersman (Bel) Omega Pharma-Quick Step
3. Samuel Dumoulin (Fra) Ag2R La Mondiale